Now in the article; “Every Information about Operating System”. You will learn what is the operating system? what is the function of an operating system? and how many operating systems we have. Moreover, you may find some information about the most famous and most used operating systems today.
You can find related topics at the end of this page and in case of any questions please comment down below.
We all use operating systems on our phones, computer, laptops, etc. However, we do not feel its presence and importance of it. Because we do not see it on the screen of our devices, we only know what we see and we do not know what we do not see. This quality lies within every individual alive on the globe.
Operating System is like the soul or spirit of a device and the CPU is the brain of the device. Without any of these components, our computer will not work, it would rather be like a useless case or box. So, we will leave the CPU for another day.
What is an Operating System?
An operating system is software that manages computer hardware, providing basic utilities and services to applications.
These may range from simple tasks such as scheduling and memory management to complex tasks such as network protocols and device drivers. Operating systems provide programs with access to the computer’s hardware components, enabling them to carry out their intended function. Keep reading if you want to get more information about the operating system.
More Useful Information
An operating system (OS) can also be referred to as software that controls computers’ hardware components including peripherals, memory, storage devices, and network interfaces. An operating system provides a software environment where programs can run. OS manages the computer hardware and provides an interface between applications and the computer hardware.
The most used OS is Microsoft Windows; however, Linux is also popular. In addition, Apple introduced its own Mac OS X operating system for personal computers in 2001. Android OS is also the most popular smartphone operating system. All these operating systems have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Importance of Operating System
The operating system is an absolutely vital software inside any device. There are many hardware computers used to manufacture or make a phone but the phone will not work if the operating system is not installed on that device.
- The operating system (also called system software) provides an interface of the software of the device to the user. As a result, the user will be able to communicate with the devices without knowing the computer language (also known as binary language or low-level language which consists of only 1s and 0s).
- Every computer needs an operating system (OS) to work properly, perform work, and run small programs such as; MS word, chrome, photoshop, etc. these small programs need a platform to run in or to perform the task they are given, and that platform is provided by the operating system.
- Without an operating system (OS) the computer would be like an empty box. The operating system is also responsible for the computer components such as; the keyboard, mouse, and speakers, these components will not work all on their own. The operating system controls all these components with electronic signals to work. The operating system is the first program, that is loaded onto a computer to provide a platform to load other programs.
Tasks of Operating System
The operating system has many small and essential tasks to do for instance; to analyses the keyboard input and show the output on the screen, manage directories and files on the hard disk, etc. there are also some other tasks done by OS such as;
- Primary memory or main memory management is called memory management. It locates all the files that are installed and takes storage in your computer. It detects how much memory is used, where this memory is used, and how this memory is used and provides memory wherever and whenever needed for any program.
– In a multi-processing environment operating system decides how much processor usage must be given to certain programs, it is called process scheduling. The operating system records the process’s time and condition to do so, the program used is known as the traffic controller. It provides processor usage to run programs and frees the processor when the program is done.
– Operating system controls and manage the devices connected to the computer such as; the mouse and keyboard, the program that does the task is called the “Input Output controller”. It controls how the keyboard or mouse will work on the computer.
– Operating system manages all the files in a regular way in the directory. The operating system notes the storage, location, user, and status of the file. Moreover, it notes when the file was created, what is the size of the file, and which user created the file.
– Operating system stops unauthorized access to our computer which means no one can enter or grant access to your computer without your permission. Therefore, they allow you to set a password and will first ask for the password before granting access to the computer.
Top 6 Operating System
– Microsoft Windows is the most widely used and well-known operating system. It was initially developed for IBM PC-compatible computers in 1983.
Today, it is available on many different types of computers ranging from small portable devices like smartphones to huge supercomputers. Windows is also the world’s largest selling software program.
– Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google Inc. It is based on a modified Linux kernel and uses Java as its primary programming language.
Google launched its first Android smartphone in 2008, and now it is available on more than 200 million devices in over 140 countries.
– iOS is Apple’s complete line of consumer electronics running on a proprietary closed-source Unix-like operating system called Darwin. iOS is the successor to Mac OS X. It is a streamlined version of Unix based on NeXTSTEP technology and comes preinstalled on the latest generation of Apple devices.
It includes features such as Siri, Maps, Health Kit, Home Kit, Mail, Safari, and Voiceover. One of the major changes in iOS 9 is the introduction of CarPlay, which lets users control their devices using voice commands while driving.
iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and related products by Apple Inc. were introduced in January 2007 and became commercially available on June 29, 2007. Other than iPhones, they also manufacture iPods and iPads. iTunes stores music, videos, books, podcasts, ringtones, apps, and other content. These devices also use the iOS operating system.
– Linux is free, open-source software licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). It is an alternative and competes for the operating system of both Windows and macOS.
As a result of Linux’s popularity, it is often included in laptop and desktop computers, web servers, and smartphones.
Linux is mainly developed by volunteer programmers who contribute code to the community. Linux is frequently used as a server operating system.
– Unix is a multipurpose, multi-threaded, multiuser operating system originally released in 1971 by Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie at Bell Laboratories for use on the PDP-7 minicomputer and later ported to several other platforms, notably the Motorola 68000 series.
It has since become embedded in many other systems. Originally written in “C language”, it has been extended into numerous programming languages.
It is also known for its command line shell, which is used to execute interactive programs on any machine.
– Macintosh is a personal computer designed, manufactured, and marketed by Apple Inc., headquartered in Cupertino, California. It was introduced at the 1984 Summer Consumer Electronics Show and first shipped on July 24, 1984. Its name derives from the use of a mouse rather than a keyboard.
In the article; Every Information about Operating Systems. You got information about an operating system, the importance of operating systems, and the top 6 operating systems. Moreover, you learned some extra information about the operating system. And you indeed learned about the tasks of the operating system.
In addition, you can also learn about the following:
If you have any kind of questions please comment below.